Website of the Week.
20th January 2015
Website of the Week
27th January 2015

You can’t always get what you want

You cannot rely on the light being great when you want it to be. The light was amazing on Sunday but  I was driving through Newcastle-upon-Tyne and not taking photos. I spotted six people out with their cameras shooting in the warm late-afternoon light and I bet they got some great shots. I was “on a mission” and did not have the chance to stop anywhere.

A few days earlier I had a drive in the countryside, determined to get some photos away from the sea. The light was flat. I stopped the car a couple of times but I wasn’t inspired. Then, driving up onto the moor hoping to capture some shots of the snow it became too dangerous to stop because of the blizzard conditions there. I turned back downhill ending up at the coast again. I decided to take a stroll along a  stretch of beach a few miles north of home. I had been here a few years ago and had unsuccessfully tried to photograph a ruined chapel behind the dunes.  Perhaps I would have more luck this time.

It was cold and I hoped I was not shivering too much to get a steady image. The light changed for a few moments and I fired off a couple of frames of the chapel.

Back home I started to develop one of them. I was determined to produce a colour image for this post, but it was clear that the image must be another black and white.

Chapel

1. Julie says:

I love this, Ivor. Lots of great detail when viewed large. I think you must have had some inspiration in Lance Keimig’s monochromes.

p.s. This would certainly be a good candidate to print and frame.

It’s going off to the printers soon. (my printer died!) I was pleased with how it came out but when I revisited my catalogue I discovered a pano of the same building that came out even better. I was about to save it after developing and my computer crashed! Not having a good time with technology at the moment. Glad you liked this shot.

I love how the light in the clouds directly behind the ruins makes the ruins really stand out! I would say you had the light on your side! Also love all the incredible details in this!

The really odd thing is that I am not sure why the sky behind was so bright because this is looking north and it was around midday when I shot it. Kodakus, the god of photography, must have been smiling at me! 😉

3. Marianne says:

Ivor, that’s very dramatic! I love the contrast of the sky aginst the ruins!
    Black and white? Yes!

4. Lois Svejda says:

Very dramatic tones!

5. bfcphotos says:

And what’s wrong with B&W? In this case A) is totally showcases the dramatic clouds and low lying sun and B) enhances the moody almost haunted barren landscape. B&W is all about light and mood; so is your photo.

6. Ivor says:

Thanks Bobbie. There’s nothing at all wrong with B&W and the more I shoot the more less inclined I am towards colour, It was just my intention to get some colour shots on this trip out, but it didn’t work out that way. Next post…

7. storki says:

As others have said, this is a stunning photo. Your persistence paid off!