Website of the Week
27th Jan 2015
So Cold
1st Feb 2015

Gratitude

It’s easy to get tied up in all the negative rubbish that comes our way. 90% of the news is bad news and is twisted and spun so we do not hear the whole truth. You do not have to look very deeply to discover thinly disguised bigotry in the way the news is fed to us.

I’ve never really been political. The climate of aggressive confrontation that comes with politics switched me off. Recently though I’ve been getting involved in a political party that is determined not to get tied up with all the negative campaigning that dominates politics in the UK. It’s a breath of fresh air meeting like-minded people who are genuinely concerned about equality, fairness and especially the world around us.

People were disillusioned with party politics. Now there are smaller parties on the rise that are offering what normal people are looking for. They are changing attitudes and their membership and support are booming. People are starting to see that voting for what they truly believe in can change their lives.

Of course, negative attitudes are not confined to politics. It’s easy to get trapped and  dragged into a downward spiral of thought. We’ve all met people who, like many politicians, try to make themselves look good by running others down.

Even when times get rough we should try to remember to be grateful for a lot of things.  It’s great therapy! One simple technique for taking the edge off negativity is to jot down every day five different things you really appreciate . Do this for a few days and the world doesn’t seem all that bad. Start off on day one with the big, obvious stuff like your family, the food on your plate, your dog and so on.  The next day, find five new things and five more the day after that.  Write them down in a note book. You’ll be amazed that you’ll never run out of things to write down. And, it will make you feel good.

Better still than writing them down, photograph them.

I went on a snow hunt. Living down here by the sea we get less snow than just a few miles inland where there is very different scenery. I love hills and mountains.

As I got up higher the roads were sometimes a little too challenging for my little car and at one point I drove up a hill and then slid back down again before I reached the top. Luckily is was a very quiet road.

I did  manage to stop a few times and grab some images.

The Northumbrian scenery is one of the things that I am grateful for.

Cheviots

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

1. Bobbie says:

Don’t need to go on a snow hunt here in New England. We had a foot a few days ago with another foot expected come Monday. Windchills make me wonder if we are not on alien worlds. But you are right– we are fortunate to have a warm home & clothing…and to experience the unique light of lowering sun on snow.

There are part of the US that conjure up in my mind a very romantic image and New England is one of them. The weather in the North East hit the news here because of its severity. As much as I like snow, I am glad we have not had that. I hope you are wrapped up warm with a cup of hot tea!

2. jackscrap says:

Lovely rural scenes, Ivor. When I look at all the conflicts occurring around the world it makes me appreciate where I live more than ever.
    Trying to instil that idea into one’s kids is forever on the agenda, they just don’t understand how lucky they are, I try to take nothing for granted, perhaps that sentiment only comes when one reaches a certain age..

I’ve always been concerned about the environment and deeply disappointed in the way we allow the world to be treated. We still have a political party here that denies climate change despite all the now irrefutable evidence.

Our son is very aware of his environment and I wish that more people thought that we are borrowing the world from out children and that they are going to want it back in good condition.

3. Marianne says:

Ivor, I think these are the most colorful snow-pictures ever,
    Well done. The lines makes them very interesting too.
    I love the english landscape.

And I think the Norwegian landscape is amazing! I think the enhanced colours in these pictures come from me having used a polarizing filter when taking them. I’m happy you like them Marianne. And I bet you still have a lot more snow than us.

4. Julie says:

Lovely shots. I especially like the first one with all its various layers of color and texture. A very beautiful countryside. 🙂

5. storki says:

Ivor, I love the positive attitude. A long time ago my husband and I started off saying “tell me 3 things that were good today” and it works, we concentrate more on the good than the bad that way.
    I love your snowy photos, let me know if you need more snow, I am happy to ship some over, as after 2 weeks of unseasonably warm weather we had 8 inches come down on Saturday.

6. Lois Svejda says:

Love seeing your English Countryside.

I am always grateful to see your pictures and your neck of the woods! These are all stunning with the many layers and depth in them! Also loving the vivid colors next to that “white” stuff!

Thank-you Tammy. I love the countryside here too. I don’t have to go very far from home for the landscape to change completely,