Eco-warrior
10th February 2015
Evening in the hills
1st March 2015

The best-laid schemes…

Okay, so Burns night was nearly a month ago , but The best-laid schemes o’ mice an’ men Gang aft agley applies to me at the moment. Just when I though it was safe to go back into the blogger the jaws of life start snapping at my toes. Some causes are even more important than photography and so it is taking a back seat at the moment.

We have a general election soon in the UK. Like the politics in many countries, big-business funding  dominates policy making in the UK . Consequently, the three major parties have ended up being clones of one another, with politicians serving just themselves and the huge corporations that sponsor them. Meanwhile, the gap between the rich and everyone else gets wider and wider. We live in a world where 50% of the wealth is held by 1% on the population.

The political atmosphere has become one of aggressive negative campaigning and angry conflict, Years of sleaze, corruption, oppression of the weak, dismantling of public services, wars, austerity for the less well off, destruction of the environment and false expenses claims have turned people off politics.

Of course, it is in the interests of these big political parties to have fewer people voting as those who don’t vote are the ones most let down by society. As people become disenchanted they also become disenfranchised, with nobody to vote for.

That is, until now.

I’ve been helping out a small and rapidly growing political party that is funded by donations and run by volunteers. Not having the huge financial backing that the big parties have it is fighting uphill on policies like 100% employment with a ‘living wage’, investment in clean energy, the restoration of our excellent public services like the NHS and the railways, laws against tax avoidance and moving away from sausage-factory schools.

I’ve never kept a secret my concerns for the environment and the damage we are doing, so now I am actively supporting The Green Party in our local constituency. This does mean that I may be posting a bit less between now and May.  I hope that when I do, you won’t object to my reflections on how things are going.

Refections

Oh, I don’t expect you to agree with what I believe in. Even if you disagree you are still welcome to see my pictures.

p.s. I initially added the following picture and then removed it for use later, but Facebook has decided to publish it anyway. So I’m putting it back again.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

1. bfcphotos says:

Alas, It sounds like things aren’t any different in England than they are here. I’m totally there with you in terms of your Green Party. Although I am pessimistic about its success–as I am for the success of similar efforts here–I refuse to cave to the concept that failure is inevitable. Even if we lose, at least we retained our integrity. In the end, that’s all that matters.

In terms of photography, these are both wonderful pictures. The top one makes me think of wakening from a dream of boats, the images slipping from the mind. I’ve been reading about B&W photography (at heart, my true love) and that bottom photo crystalizes everything I’ve read. It’s the light, the tones of light: ranges of grey, punctuations of black and then a few areas of glowing light. Plus textures and elegant composition. This is exquisite.

Thank-you Bobbie. The major parties here all promote tactical voting because it maintains the status quo. There are some really good online tools like http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/ which has shown that if people voted for policies and not personalities then in the UK The Green Party would actually have the highest proportion of votes. If people don’t vote for what they believe to be right, they will never get it. I am not under any delusions that the Green Party are going to win the forthcoming election, but there is only one way to eat an elephant, one bite at a time.

I am glad you like the pictures. The top one I only adjusted, inverted and converted to B&W in ACR. There are not the range of tones that I like to see in a B&W image, but I did like the dreamy feel of it. I am trying to come up with interesting effects in camera, as opposed to doing it in the editing stage.

The second had a lot more work converting it using onOne software. Technically, it is the better of the two images and I was pleased with how it came out.

I would really like to get into taking B&W portraits.as, for me, they are the most powerful images.

2. Julie says:

Oh, I really like what you did with the flipped reflections. Very cool…

3. PC PHOTO says:

Love your reflections!

4. storki says:

Firstly, as ever, I love your photos, especially the first one. Secondly, good luck in the upcoming elections. I must admit, I don’t know a lot about the Green Party in the UK, but as you have said, the three main parties are as bad as one another. I remember when we still lived in the UK many years ago, the Liberal Party was still different at that time, and I ended up voting for them, just to go against the grain of the other two parties. I think I still had a voting right in the UK I might just educate myself on your Green Party, it has to be a better option than the others out there!

You should still have a vote, Simone. The Green Party is almost entirely funded and run by volunteers and has had a huge surge in popularity because of their opposition to the austerity policies of the other parties that are making the super-rich even richer and moving everyone else down. We have just crowd funded the deposits so we can have a candidate in almost every constituency. In reality not every one is going to win, but the pressure on the other parties is good for democracy. Please do register to vote if you can. https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

😀

• storki says:

Thanks Ivor, but as we are no longer UK residents, having emigrated, we no longer have the right to vote, but I will look into it, in case it has changed since we left.

I think you can still vote on the UK parliamentary elections if you are a UK citizen living overseas. Johanna cannot vote in the UK general election but can in her own country’s. I think that applies to all UK and European citizens.Your British Consulate should be able to advise you.

• storki says:

I will check it out online and see if we still have voting rights. If we do Ivor I will check out the Green Party. In Germany the Green Party is very well established, not sure though how their manifesto aligns with that of the UK Green Party.

Sounds like here in the US….I think we need a new 3rd party for the people! Absolutely love your reflection image…very artsy and creative!